Re: can't start postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Shevchenko
Subject Re: can't start postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Merlin,

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 17:36, you wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Igor Shevchenko <igor@carcass.ath.cx> wrote:
> > I've got a problem w/ one of pgsql installations. It can't start:
> >
> > [postgres@db ~]$ /usr/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/pgsql/data
> > PANIC:  failed to re-find parent key in "23724"
> > Aborted
> >
> > This is PostgreSQL 8.1.5 compiled from sources, on Fedora Core4.
> > Originally it was 8.1.2, and the bug appeared on v8.1.2; I've compiled
> > and installed v8.1.5 over it. Autovacuum is enabled.
>
> is this a fresh installation? or do you have an existing database here
> that crashed or had some other problem?

Yes it was a working installation, 32g of data, on v8.1.2. Pgsql wouldn't come
up, so I've upgraded it to v8.1.5 (from sources), and tried to start it in a
single-process mode, with no luck - it was still failing with the same,
abovementioned error message.

We had a backup and had already restored from it, but I still have the crashed
db saved elsewhere, for testing/debugging.

--
Best Regards,
Igor Shevchenko