Re: PgSQL not recognized - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: PgSQL not recognized
Date
List pgsql-general
am  Mon, dem 13.11.2006, um 15:08:18 -0800 mailte whytwelve13@yahoo.com folgendes:
> I just installed a fresh Postgres database. select version(); gives:
>
> "PostgreSQL 8.1.5 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC)
> 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"
>
> Normal statements like select * from sometable work fine.
>
> I initiated the default databases, created the postgres user and I
> tried to run the following query:
>
> if 1 <> 1 then
>    select 1
> else
>    select 2
> end if;
>
> The error was:
>
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "if" at character 1
>
> I added the language using 'createlang plpgsql', but this didn't help.
> This is similar to what I read from
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plpgsql-control-structures.html
>
> I tried using the functions:
>
> create function izitest() returns void as
> 'if 1 <> 1 then
>    select 1
> else
>    select 2
> end if;' language 'plpgsql'
>
> where plpgsql is the name of the language I created. This gave the same
> error:

There are somethink wrong:

- wrong begin (i use the dollar-quoting-style)
- no 'begin'
- missing ';'
- you want to get a result but defined the function as void

I have rewritten this for you, i hope, this is what you expected:

create function izitest() returns int as $$
begin
if 1 <> 1 then
   return 1;
else
   return 2;
end if;
end;
$$ language 'plpgsql';

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47215,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)