Re: dblink / plpgsql - definition list cheats for record - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Peter
Subject Re: dblink / plpgsql - definition list cheats for record
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:

> Matthew Peter wrote:
> > Is there any way to use CREATE TYPE or an VIEW/TABLE defintion list instead of
> > manually defining it?
>
> Yes, just define your function as returning that type rather than
> RECORD. That way the calling context will know what to expect.

It's a dblink C function that returns RECORD so I just wanted to create a view or
type to help it reference the return data as ( TYPE )  rather than typing a
definition list as ( id integer, .. ) each time for each query.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index