Re: autovacuum blues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: autovacuum blues
Date
List pgsql-general
Anton Melser wrote:
> Hi,
> I just can't understand why autovacuum is not working. I have a test
> db/table which I insert values into (by the thousands) and can't work
> out why my stats don't get updated. Could someone have a quick look at
> my attached .conf and tell me what I am doing?
> I am running it on FC5 8.1.4.fc5.1.

You can tell whether autovacuum is running by using

SHOW autovacuum;

Note that if you have a firewall of some sort stopping UDP messages from
being transmitted inside your machine, the stats collector may not
start, which may stop the autovacuum daemon from starting.  If you're
not seeing stat updates then there's probably something like that going
on.  Maybe the system has emitted a warning message at server start;
check the logs.