Re: On what we want to support: travel? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:03:51AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Well, there's a couple of "returns" in my mind: (a) the quantity and quality
> of additional community members we can gain, and (b) what it adds to making
> PostgreSQL a better ("more advanced") database.

Ok, good.  Now we have two proposed (actually, I think three:
quantity and quality are different scales) measures of return on
investment.  Now, what we need to do is to evaluate the weight of
each, and then we have some sort of ruleish thing to evaluate with.

I don't want to pretent, with the management fetishists of the world,
that these things are somehow objective, or even enumerable in the
sense that dollars are.  But merely having an idea of what scales
"bang for the buck" is to be compared against is a giant step
forward.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
        --Jane Jacobs