Re: New to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:13:24AM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> I think, apart from postgresql you gotta get familiar with the linux/*bsd/unix
> concepts as well, as sometimes performance has to do with OS tuning too.

Let me echo that, because it's extremely important: when I was in
charge of hiring people to work on our databases, I was very
concerned not to get the sort of people who felt that the system was
"the sysadmin's problem".  You _cannot_ treat the operating system as
not your problem when addressing performance questions in PostgreSQL.
This is a very unfamiliar situation to most Oracle and some DB2
administrators, in my experience.  The good ones, of course, have no
problem catching on; the bad ones never deserved the name DBA anyway
;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
        --Damien Katz