Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 12:34:30PM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> stuff I have read about the early days of many of these projects. If you
> do not have a dedicated DBA you are much better off with MySQL in most
> cases, because its simple .. there are few choices to make and you get
> decent performance.

Oh, I wish this were true.  In fact, if you do not have a dedicated
DBA, you'd be much better off with Postgres, because the database
won't let you do stupid things that make you have to rewrite
everything later when it turns out your data model is broken.
Unfortunately, the developers who are often making those decisions
simply don't know that, and don't care.

But I thnk that's a rant for another day.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
        --Damien Katz