Re: Optimizing disk throughput on quad Opteron - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Philips
Subject Re: Optimizing disk throughput on quad Opteron
Date
List pgsql-performance
> The thing I would ask is would you not be better
> with SAS drives?
>
> Since the comments on Dell, and the highlighted
> issues I have been
> looking at HP and the the Smart Array P600
> controller with 512 BBWC.
> Although I am looking to stick with the 8 internal
> disks, rather than
> use external ones.
>
> The HP Smart Array 50 is the external array for SAS
> drives. Not
> really looked into it much though.

Ben,

The Smart Array 50 supports a maximum of 10 disks and
has a single I/O module, while the Smart Array 30
supports up to 14 disks and can be configured with a
dual I/O module.

I was under the assumption that SAS runs at the same
speed as Ultra320, in which case the Smart Array 30 is
a better bet...

Thanks for your feedback.