Re: Simple join optimized badly? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Simple join optimized badly?
Date
Re: Simple join optimized badly?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 08:22:39PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Imagine I got run over by a train, and someone was reading my code.
> > Which would be easier for them to maintain: Code with weird SQL, or code
> > with sensible, well-written SQL and explicit hints?
>
> You forgot the most important option:
>
> Code with appropriate documentation about your weird SQL.
>
> If you document your code, your argument is moot.

You apparently didn't read the whole email. He said he did document his
code. But his point is still valid: obscure code is bad even with
documentation. Would you put something from the obfuscated C contest
into production with comments describing what it does, or would you just
write the code cleanly to begin with?