Re: advisory locks and permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: advisory locks and permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> >> An admin who is concerned about this can revoke public access on the
> >> functions for himself ... but should that be the default out-of-the-box
> >> configuration?  I feel more comfortable with saying "you have to turn
> >> on this potentially-dangerous feature" than with saying you have to turn
> >> it off.
>
> > I agree with having it turned off by default, at least in 8.2.
>
> Do we have a consensus to do this for 8.2?  Or are we going to leave it
> as is?  Those are the only two realistic short-term options ...

I'm still of the opinion it'd be better disabled by default, but it
seems that the majority is going the other way.  I guess in the end I'd
like to see most of these patched up in such a way that a given user
would be reasonably limited in their ability to DoS the server.  That's
not going to happen today though.
Thanks,
    Stephen