Re: Phantom Command ID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Phantom Command ID
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:02:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > A big question is, do we need to implement spilling to disk?
>
> My thought is no, at least not in the first cut ... this is something
> that can be added later if it proves critical, and right at the moment
> my guess is that it never will.  The data structure design sounds fine.

What would the failure mode be? Would we just keep going until the box
ran out of memory? I think it'd be better to have some kind of hard
limit so that a single backend can't grind a production server into a
swap-storm. (Arguably, not having a limit is exposing a DoS
vulnerability).