Re: Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:09:23AM +0200, Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> I scheduled a cron job every hour or so that runs an analyze on the
> 4/5 most intensive relations and sleeps 30 seconds between every
> analyze.
>
> This has optimized db response times when many clients run together.
> I wanted to report this, maybe it can be helpful for others
> out there... :-)

This suggests to me that your statistics need a lot of updating.  You
_might_ find that setting the statistics to a higher number on some
columns of some of your tables will allow you to analyse less
frequently.  That's a good thing just because ANALYSE will impose an
I/O load.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton