Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki
Date
List pgsql-www
Greg,

> I think the lessons of wikipedia is precisely that you *don't* want to add
> such barriers. You want to let people add stuff pretty much freely. That
> encourages people to get involved and put up information.

The other lesson of Wikipedia is that maintaining wiki quality for a generally
editable wiki requires a full-time dedicated staff.   We don't even have any
volunteers who have 4 hours/week to commit to cleaning up the wiki, unless
you're volunteering.

This is *particularly* true of the TODO stuff.  We simply don't want Joe User
adding their personal wishlist to the TODOs, and that's exactly what will
happen if the TODO list is world-writable.  TODOs should be items which have
been hashed out here on the Hackers list, and the wiki page should list the
specification which is the general consensus.

If we had a "user documentation wiki", then *that* should be world-editable,
but again that would require community volunteers to dedicate to cleaning it
up.  The developer wiki is by and for actual contributors.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun