Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> w00t, more processes doing things they shouldn't be doing, but doing
> them automatically at times when they shouldn't be done because of some
> arbitrary calculation that really isn't documented that well in some
> conf file!

I'd love for it to be improved.  If you've got specific suggestions on
improvments which could be made then please bring them up on the list.
In general I've been reasonably happy with it and it *is* improving as
people work on it.  Having it enabled by default may get more people
interested in improving it too.

> O.k. that was negative, sorry. Frankly I think that turning autovacuum
> on by default pretty much equates to, "I am lazy, and I don't want to
> actually evaluate my needs. Lets just go with MS Access"

It would be kind of nice to have internal database processes, you know,
handled *internally*.  While autovacuum might not be configured
perfectly for a given situation at the outset in the ideal world it
would be able to essentially self-configure itself over time.  There
have been ideas floated to get us closer to that such as the
dead-tuple (or dead-page?) list.

Unfortunately I'm not really keen on the "we use MVCC internally,
and MVCC needs it, therefore you as the admin have to deal with it"
argument.
Thanks,
    Stephen