Re: - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:33:08PM -0400, jallgood@the-allgoods.net wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I am getting this message in my log files for my database.
>
> LOG: out of file descriptors: Too many open files; release and retry.
>
> At some point the memomy didn't get released and the postmaster reset itself terminating all client connections. I am
notsure what direction to go. I can increase the file-max in the kernel but it looks reasonably sized already . Or
decreasethe max_file_per_process. Has anyone on the list encountered this issue. I am running Postgres 7.4.7.

PostgreSQL could be using somewhere around as much as
max_files_per_process * ( max_connections + 5 ), so make sure that
matches file-max (the + 5 is because there are non-connection processes
such as the bgwriter).

If that looks OK, some file descriptors might have been left around from
the crash... I know this can happen with shared memory segments. It
normally won't happen with file descriptors, but perhaps it is possible.
If that's the case, a reboot would certainly fix it.

BTW, you should upgrade to the latest 7.4 release.