Re: Domains and subtypes, a brief proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From elein
Subject Re: Domains and subtypes, a brief proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 07:12:17PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> > I may have missed some stuff here. Obviously.  For example how to divide
> > and conquer the various aspects of the issues raised here. But this is a
> > high, high level proposal at this time.
>
> I'm not quite clear on what in your proposal is different from current Domain
> behavior.  Or are you just looking to remove the limitations on where Domains
> can be used?
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

I'm looking to make domains proper types and eliminate the need for
special domain checking in the case where it is not a check constraint
check.  I'm trying to influence a more logical implementation of
domains that removes some code and gains us features.  Also it
should eliminate some (all?) of the current limitations with regards
to using domains as subtypes.  It will also pave the way for
implementation of create type under type.

--elein
elein@varlena.com