Re: Win32 hard crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> >"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:

> >>The only known resolution is to reboot Windows. Using the service
> >>control panel to shutdown postgresql will fail once the message is
> >>received. It is unknown if using the task master to individually
> >>kill processes will work.
> >
> >This contradicts your previous email about restarting the postmaster
> >working.
>
> No, it doesn't. I never said restarting the postmaster would work. I
> said rebooting windows, allows postgresql to come back up. Those are
> entirely different things.

Yup.  It was me who said that restarting the postmaster solved the
problem.  That's what Dave Cramer told me.  But maybe Dave was not
certain about that -- he did use the word "reboot" and I asked for
confirmation about whether this was an actual reboot of the machine
or just a postmaster "reboot", and he said it was the latter.  But this
may have been a suposition.

Sorry for the confusion.