Re: On DNS for postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: On DNS for postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:59:29AM -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:

> There's not anything like universal agreement on whether that's
> a bad thing, or not.

Uh, well, there sure is right now among TLD operators.  Wide-open
recursion is being used in a denial of service attack that causes
orders-of-magnitude amplification traffic against the target servers.
In fact, there are some who are blacklisting open recursive servers,
and there's an effort afoot to get the news out:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnsop/draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil/

(Another draft is expected Real Soon Now, with a less-inflammatory
filename.)

> Also the servers are volunteer provided, so
> it's not really anyones business other than the server owners.

Given that the entire postgresql.org infrastructure just went off the
air because of what sure looked to me like an error in
administration, I submit that it _is_ others' business how the
infrastructure is managed

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner