Re: Ding-dong, contrib is dead ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Ding-dong, contrib is dead ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Merlin,

> well, I'm confused now.  Tom said that cleaned up functions might be
> sneaked into 8.2, which is what prompted my question.

You're correct, he did.  Tom?

> If that's the
> case I'm considering putting something together quickly.  It's no big
> deal to me either way really.  However, it would really be a shame to
> drop the contrib module and leave 8.2 without a way of easily use them
> (userlocks being, imho, the #1 greatest undiscovered feature in pg).

Well, all I'm dealing with is that the *existing GPL code* can't stay.
Let me know if Abhijit's version (or something else) gets accepted and
I'll kill the pgFoundry project.

Overall, though, I think we should really wait until 8.3 for core merge and
API improvements.  Wasn't Tom just complaining about last-minute features,
and not enough code reviewers?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus