Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml
Date
Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> > I little bit enhanced overview catalog tables. I added two new columns.
> > First one is OID of catalog table and second one contains attributes
> > which determine if the table is bootstrap, with oid and global.
>
> Why is this a good idea?  It seems like mere clutter.

What's "global"?  A maybe-useful flag would be telling that a table is
shared.  Is that it?  Mind you, it's not useful to me because I know
which tables are shared, but I guess for someone not so familiar with
the catalogs it could have some use.

The OIDs may be useful to people inspecting pg_depend, for example; but
then, it's foolish not to be using regclass in that case.

Whether a table is "bootstrap" or not doesn't seem useful to me.