Re: [HACKERS] Performance testing of COPY (SELECT) TO - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Performance testing of COPY (SELECT) TO
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:

> >It's ugly because you are forcing the system to parse something that
> >was already parsed.
>
> definitely an argument for dropping the view stuff ...

On the other hand, it's quite possible that this could be made to work
_without_ doing black magic (which would be OK by me).

> >On the other hand I don't see why you are arguing in favor of a useless
> >feature whose coding is dubious; you can have _the same thing_ with nice
> >code and no discussion.
>
> what are you referring to?

The fact that the direct "copy view" feature is just syntactic sugar
over "copy (select * from view)".  The latter we can have without
discussion -- from me, that is :-)