Re: double precision vs. numeric - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aarni Ruuhimäki
Subject Re: double precision vs. numeric
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Friday 25 August 2006 08:12, Aarni Ruuhimäki wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 20:29, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni@kymi.com> writes:
> > > I vaguely remember having seen a message
> > > ' ... type double precision ... will be depreciated / unsupported in
> > > future releases ... '
> > > or something like that somewhere. (?)
> >
> > Perhaps you are thinking of type "money"?  DOUBLE PRECISION is in the
> > SQL standard, it's certainly not going anywhere.
> >
> >    regards, tom lane

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >        match
>
> Well, I have used it for 'money type' like sums and prices but I have never
> used the actual "money" data type.
>
> So, false alarm.
>
> Thank you guys !
>
> Aarni

Hi,

Now I saw it again. In a terminal window after an insert from an application:

WARNING:  deprecated input syntax for type double precision: ""
DETAIL:  This input will be rejected in a future release of PostgreSQL.

So this merely means that in future one can not insert empty values into field
of type double precision ?

BR,

Aarni

--