Re: ruby driver postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: ruby driver postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 12:11:28PM -0700, Junkone wrote:
> I am using the C driver and am trying to run this statement
> irb(main):020:0> a=conn.exec("select * from exchanges where id=$1",4)
> ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)
>         from (irb):20:in `exec'
>         from (irb):20
>         from :0
> irb(main):021:0>
>
> I get the error. But the ruby doc stats that i can use this parameteric
> query. any pointers will be useful.

Are you using the ruby-postgres module and looking at the following
documentation or a copy of it?

http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/rdoc/

Specifically, is this what you're seeing?

    conn.exec(sql, *bind_values)

    Sends SQL query request specified by sql to the PostgreSQL.
    Returns a PGresult instance on success. On failure, it raises
    a PGError exception.

    bind_values represents values for the PostgreSQL bind parameters
    found in the sql. PostgreSQL bind parameters are presented as $1,
    $1, $2, etc.

I just looked through the source code for a few versions of that
module and only the latest snapshot supports multiple arguments for
PGconn#exec.  Version 0.7.1 doesn't (that "Release version" is over
3.5 years old!).

--
Michael Fuhr