Re: invalid byte sequence ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: invalid byte sequence ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> For glibc systems we can get 100% reliable results. Even for other
> systems there's standard code out there for determining the charset.
> But this has been discussed before:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-05/msg00744.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-04/msg00470.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-06/msg01027.php
>
> It seems to me that setting the client encoding based on the
> client-locale is the *only* sensible way of doing it. The locale is
> going to effect the results of programs like sort and any scripts used
> to process the data anyway.

Yes please.  This would make the pgsql-es-ayuda list lose a small but
measurable amount of its traffic (which I won't miss).  Non-matching
\encoding settings is just too frequent.

FWIW I'm not sure if it really belongs in libpq, or it must be rather in
psql (and thus in every client).