Re: Did I wipe off my database -- please help - urgent - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Re: Did I wipe off my database -- please help - urgent
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Now, what to do....
>
> First, STOP!! Do NOTHING else.  You ABSOLUTELY need
> to make a backup of what
> you have.  If you don't know where your data is,
> then I would suggest
> backing up the ENTIRE disk.  If you have to buy a
> hard disk to do this, do
> it!  You ABSOLUTELY should not be working in an
> environment where you do not
> have a backup of critical data, either by pg_dump to
> another machine
> (ideally) or by routine cloning of the machine (we
> do both).
>
> Next, get some help.  And by help, I mean local
> help, if possible--someone
> who can sit down with you and work through this
> systematically.  You may
> even want to pay for said help--a local contractor,
> etc., but that is up to
> you.
>
> Next, figure out where your data are stored.  Figure
> out what the problem is
> that keeps you from accessing it.  Figure out what
> to do about that problem.
> MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP.  Then try fixing the problem.
>
> Sean

great advice.  don't overwrite anything on that disk
(apparently, a reboot might do wome disk overwriting)!
 as mentioned earlier, perhaps the data can be
restored using computer forensics if no backup is
available.

here's a similar thread with some advice...

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-05/msg00391.php

this might help, too...

http://forums.devshed.com/bsd-help-31/oh-dear-big-mistake-have-deleted-var-181892.html