Re: [PERFORM] 7.3.2 pg_restore very slow - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Saranya Sivakumar
Subject Re: [PERFORM] 7.3.2 pg_restore very slow
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. As I said, we are stuck with 7.3.2 version for now. We have a Upgrade Project in place, but this backup is something we have to do immediately (we do not have enough time to test our application with 7.3.15 :( )

The checkpoint segments occur every 1.15 minutes with the default setting.
I tried tuning some parameters in the conf file, which took 4.5 hours for the restore.

sort_mem = 40960
shared_buffers = 3000
#checkpoint_segments = 3  (default)
#fsync = true    --I will disable this and try

We can afford to have a downtime of only 1 to 1.5 hours.
I am going to increase the shared_buffers, sort_mem and disable fysnc as suggested by you, and try the restore process again.

I would appreciate any other suggestions/advice in this regard.

Thanks,
Saranya

Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
Saranya Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to back up a full copy of one of our databases (14G) and
> restore it on another server. Both databases run 7.3.2 version.
> Though the restore completed successfully, it took 9 hours for the
> process to complete. The destination server runs Fedora Core 3 with
> 512 MB RAM and has 1 processor. I have also deferred referential
> intergrity checks during the restore. I tried to tune some parameters
> in the config file, but it still takes 9 hours.

Firstly, you should upgrade to the most recent version of 7.3.x (7.3.15)
- that's a *lot* of bug-fixes you are missing

Then, I would temporarily disable fsync and increase sort_mem and
checkpoint_segments. What you're trying to do is make a single process
run as fast as possible, so allow it to grab more resources than you
normally would.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd