Re: pg_upgrade (was: 8.2 features status) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pg_upgrade (was: 8.2 features status)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 08:37:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Probably easier and more flexible just to include both versions of the
> datatype in the new release, and tell people they'd better ALTER COLUMN
> TYPE sometime before updating to release N+2.

Right, but I wasn't sure if that'd be considered acceptable.

So, in a nutshell, if all the other issues of pg_upgrade get ironed out
and the only blocker was a change in the on-disk format of a type,
including both the old and the new versions in the next major release
would be an option seriously considered.

Well, that's got to make it easiesr.

Have a nice day,