upgrading postgres - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ramon Orticio
Subject upgrading postgres
Date
Re: upgrading postgres  (Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni@kymi.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Dear Friends,

I'm using a readhat9 distro with postgresql7 and pgadminIII working fine. but when I upgraded to fedora core 4 the postgres database and pgadminIII are no longer running. during boot up I am prompted that there is an old version of postgresql inside that needs to be upgraded. I queried through the console using the command  $rpm -qa postgres ql   postgresql-8.0.3-1 came out the screen.

the usr/shared/docs/postgresql/readme.rpm dist  states

" These RPMs no longer support any sort of upgrading process other than that
documented in the regular documentation.  That isyou must dump, upgrade, initdb, and restore your data.
Dump first, then remove the old server subpackage, install the new package, and restore the data from dump."

how do I do this. what are the necessary commands to be executed?

thank you for your concern particulary to a neophyte like me.

ramon