Re: inclusion of hstore software in main tarball - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nicolai Petri
Subject Re: inclusion of hstore software in main tarball
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 19:49, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:06:09PM +0200, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > hi
> > some time ago i was told on postgresql-general about existence of
> > "hstore" package for postgresql.
> > as i understand it is being developed by the same guys that are behind
> > tsearch2, gin and (at least) recent changes in gist.
> >
> > would it be possible to include this software in main postgresql tarball?
> > it would be best if it came as standard feature, but contrib module would
> > also work.
>
> Why put it in contrib unless it depends on being in there? Just grab it
> from pgFoundry if you need it.
Doesn't this apply to everything in /contrib ? I think hstore is such a small
module that would fit nicely in contrib. For me it really sucks to have all
users of our software download and compile it. Especially when they are used
to just install binary rpms.

If people hate contrib so much why not just get rid of it forever.. Either it
should embrace as much small contrib modules as possible - else it should
disappear in my opinion.

cheers,
Nicolai Petri