Re: set search_path in dump output considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: set search_path in dump output considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:17:31PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> There has been talk of attaching a search_path setting to each function
> so that it's independent of the caller's search_path, but the
> performance hit seems a bit daunting.  In any case it's not pg_dump's
> fault that this feature doesn't exist...

Since most (all?) the stuff in functions ends up as prepared statements,
you'd only have to set search_path the first time the function was run,
no? That doesn't seem nearly as bad.

And FWIW, I agree that it would be better if pg_dump quit using
search_path.