Re: plPHP and plRuby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: plPHP and plRuby
Date
Re: plPHP and plRuby  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: plPHP and plRuby  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> So we would have
>
> src/pl/plphp/README.TXT
> src/pl/pljava/README.TXT
> src/pl/plj/README.TXT
>
> and anybody looking for pl-s would find the info in a logical place

Right.  When was the last time any user looked under src/pl in the first
place?  Or even under src?  If you're looking for pljava, it's the
first hit in Google.

I think people need to relax more.  We are not making statements about
language preferences -- making that claim is just paranoia.  We are not
missing the enterprise train, and there might be just as many people
moving from PHP to Java, or we might just be making this up because no
one can count that anyway.  And we are not going to educate any Rail
users, because people don't like to be lectured to if they didn't ask
for it.

The organization of the source code is controlled by exactly two
factors:

1. history
2. convenience of development

Anything else is between you and your packager.

And if that didn't convince you, I still got PL/sh in the wait ...

--
Peter Eisentraut