Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:26:30PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The right way to proceed is what was mentioned in another message: work
> harder at educating packagers about which non-core projects are worth
> including in their packages.  I have to confess contributing to the
> problem, as I'm not currently including eg. Slony in the Red Hat RPMs.
> I certainly should be --- but "fixing" that by pushing Slony into the
> core PG distro is not a solution.

Indeed. Distributors are not going to go through pgfoundary and package
everything, there's just no point. I think it would be very useful to
dedicate a portion of the website to add-ons that are considered
worthwhile.

"considered worthwhile by who" becomes the big question then.
PgFoundary has a "Top Project Downloads" section. That gives a pretty
good indication of the things that should be advertised.

Have a nice day,