Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> On 7/13/06, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>> The official JDBC driver is not being shipped with the project for
>> exactly the same reasons, I fail to see any compelling reason to ship
>> either java PL.
>
> IMHO, we should be shipping the JDBC driver... but that's another
> matter entirely.

Again, that goes to your 'kitchen sink distribution' ... its been
suggested many times before, nobody cared enough to run with the idea and
do something about it ... do you?

> When someone downloads the PostgreSQL server on Windows... we know
> they're probably going to be using ODBC... so we should ship it; but
> which one?  How do we determine which one as a community?

that's a packaging issue ... the Windows Installer can (does?) pull that
in as part of its install, or, at least, packaging stage, as it does other
things ...

> Eventually we need to evolve a little bit and tackle these types of
> issues; I don't think gborg or pgfoundry are the best places for
> high-profile, commonly used PostgreSQL drivers, PLs, or functions.

Commonly used by whom?  a pl/PHP user is most likely not going to ever use
pl/Perl, or any other pl ... so, which are "commonly used" and which are
used by a "small set of ppl"?

----