Longer startup delay (was Re: Single Index Tuple Chain (SITC) method) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Longer startup delay (was Re: Single Index Tuple Chain (SITC) method)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Another issue is that this would replace a simple hint-bit setting with
> an index change that requires a WAL entry.  There'll be more WAL traffic
> altogether from backends retail-deleting index tuples than there would
> be from VACUUM cleaning the whole page at once

Speaking of which, I think I've noticed a longer delay in server start
after initdb.  I haven't measured nor profiled it, but I think it may be
because of the heap_inplace_update xlogging that we weren't doing
previously.