Re: Performance of DOMAINs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Performance of DOMAINs
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:26:16AM -0700, David Wheeler wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Didn't see anything in the archives, so I thought I'd ask: has anyone
> done any work to gauge the performance penalty of using DOMAINs? I'm
> thinking of something like Elein's email DOMAIN:
>
>   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
>
> I figured that most simple domains that have a constraint check are
> no faster or slower than tables with constraints that validate a
> particular column. Is that the case?

Probably. Only thing that might pose a difference is if you're doing a
lot of manipulating of the domain that didn't involve table access;
presumably PostgreSQL will perform the checks every time you cast
something to a domain.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/citext/projdisplay.php