Re: [Win32] Problem with rename() - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [Win32] Problem with rename()
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Brant wrote:
> Really?  If there was a patch, I missed it.
>
> My recollection is that there was general agreement about this
> particular problem (see, for example,
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-04/msg00189.php ), but
> things kind of trailed off after that without a resolution.

Yea.  Where you using WAL archiving?  We will have a fix in 8.1.5 to
prevent multiple archivers from starting.  Perhaps that was a cause.

> As far as the complete list of Win32 problems which affected us:
>   - The stats collector crashing should indeed be fixed in 8.1.4
>   - Missing stats caused by Windows PID recycling is fixed in 8.2
>   - Various semaphore problems are probably all fixed with the new
> Win32 semaphore implementation in 8.2
>   - The stuck log rename problem mentioned above is still an issue

Yep.  What has me baffled is why no one else is seeing the problem.
We had a rash of reports, and now all is quiet.

>   - The "permission denied on fsync" (or something like that) problem
> is still an issue.  Unfortunately, IIRC, we could never really nail down
> the underlying problem.

Yes, I just reread that thread.  I also am confused where to go from
here.

> None of these problems affect us any more: the production servers now
> run Linux.  Great to have options! (and we were moving that direction
> anyway)

Were you the only one use Win32 in heavy usage?  You were on Win2003.
Were there some bugs in the OS that got fixed later.

Yea, stumped.  Guess we will have to wait for more reports.  I don't
even see how to document this as a TODO.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us