Re: vacuuming problems continued - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: vacuuming problems continued
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:54:08PM +0200, Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> We just don't seem to be getting much benefit from autovacuum. Running
> a manual vacuum seems to still be doing a LOT, which suggests to me
> that I should either run a cron job and disable autovacuum, or just
> run a cron job on top of autovacuum.

What the others said; but also, which version of autovacuum (== which
version of the database) is this?  Because the early versions had a
number of missing bits to them that tended to mean the whole thing
didn't hang together very well.

> I have been thinking about strategies and am still a bit lost. Our
> apps are up 24/7 and we didn't code for the eventuality of having the
> db going offline for maintenance... we live and learn!

You shouldn't need to, with anything after 7.4, if your vacuum
regimen is right.  There's something of a black art to it, though.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie