Re: Mention pg_dump version portability - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Mention pg_dump version portability
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 07:43:20PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 12:21:06PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I have applied this patch that mentions pg_dump portability to 8.1.X and
> > > CVS HEAD.
> >
> > Would it be worth recommending using the custom format over plain? I see
> > plenty of issues with incompatabilities in the plain version, but I
> > don't think I've ever seen problem with the custom format (though this
> > could just be because everyone uses the default...)
>
> Right, it is just because it is the default.

But shouldn't the custom format deal better with version changes, or
does the format of custom change just as often? Though, even if it did
change just as often, pg_restore should be able to deal better with it
than psql, since pg_restore knows it's a dump and knows what version
it's coming from...