Re: Compression and on-disk sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> The real question - and I believe Tom and others have correctly harped
> on it in the past is - is it worth it? Until somebody actually pulls
> up their sleeves, invests a month or more of their life to it, and
> does it, we really won't know. And even then, the cost of maintenance
> would have to be considered. Who is going to keep up-to-date on
> theoretical storage models? What happens when generic file system
> levels again surpass the first attempt?
>
> Personally, I believe it would be worth it - but only to a few. And
> these most of these few are likely using Oracle. So, no gain unless
> you can convince them to switch back... :-)

We do know that the benefit for commercial databases that use raw and
file system storage is that raw storage is only a few percentage
points faster.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com