Re: sblock state on FreeBSD 6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: sblock state on FreeBSD 6.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:09:32AM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > This stack trace doesn't make any sense.  ClosePostmasterPorts is not
> > > calling PostgresMain.  And pq_getbyte is not calling TouchSocketFile,
> > > which in turn isn't calling secure_read.
> >
> > So I see... that's rather disturbing... any idea why gdb would end up
> > that confused?
>
> Given you don't have debug enabled, it's likely all static symbols have
> been dropped from the symbol table and gdb is guessing by listing the
> function with the highest address before the actual function.
>
> You could try to find a consistant call tree where the functions call
> eachother in the right order. Or just compile with debug symbols
> enabled. It doesn't make a difference in performance or memory usage,
> only diskspace (about 16MB on my machine, probably more on yours).

Yeah, I was actually surprised when gdb spit out real function names and
not just gibberish since I assumed that PostgreSQL wasn't compiled with
debug symbols. I thought my assumption was wrong when that stuff came
out, but I guess that was a bad guess...

I'll recompile and try again... thanks!