Re: pg_dump index creation order - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: pg_dump index creation order
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 07:15:55PM -0600, Ed L. wrote:
> I'm watching a long, painfully slow 60GB load from pg_dump
> (8.1.2), and noticing it's jumping back and forth from different
> tables.  I assume this is the index creation order showing up.
>
> Would it make more sense to have pg_dump dump indexes grouped by
> the table?  That way, if a table got loaded into cache for one
> index creation, it might still be there for the immediatly
> following index creations on the same table...

It might for smaller tables that will fit in cache, but it depends on
how much memory is used for sorting. In fact, I think it would be best
to add the indexes immediately after loading the table with data.

This won't help with adding indexes on large tables though, unless
the indexes were created simultaneously, and even that might not be a
win.

It would be a win to add some constraints at the same time, but RI can't
be added until all tables are indexed.