Re: Have configure complain about unknown options - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Have configure complain about unknown options
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:28:48PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am worried if we change the default behavior that build systems will
> fail, but fail after our release when they go to package, and we will
> not get feedback until to late.

I guess there are a number of ways to deal with this:

1. Provide an escape option they can add
2. Package systems can usually apply patches prior to compiling, they can
always remove the offending line if they like.
3. Try and get feedback from them now rather than wait

enable_maintainer_mode is a kind of special case. It's a flag that
disables a number of braindead things done by automake and libtool and
probably others. autoconf OTOH doesn't know about it. So, independant
of the options above, I think it should be accepted without warning.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment