Re: Summer of Code idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Summer of Code idea
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Jonah H. Harris (jonah.harris@gmail.com) wrote:
> Unfortunately, this discussion usually ends up with, "why would we
> want to change what we have now when it already works?"

The answer to that can certainly be "performance" provided other factors
(such as maintainability) don't change much.  If you could show that
then I think such a switch would be very seriously considered.  Of
course, the performance improvment would have to be some substantial
amount (I would guess at least 5%, maybe 10%) to warrent the learning
curve associated with changing it.

If you're not interested or not able to do the performance comparison
then I guess you'd need to find someone who is and then work out if
they'd be willing to do the testing under some NDA in case it doesn't
pan out.
Thanks,
    Stephen