Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:07:17PM -0400, Ron Peacetree wrote:
> A minor point to be noted in addition here is that most DB servers under load are limited by their physical IO
subsystem,their HDs, and not the speed of their RAM.

I think if that were the only consideration we wouldn't be seeing such a
dramatic difference between AMD and Intel though. Even in a disk-bound
server, caching is going to have a tremendous impact, and that's
essentially entirely bound by memory bandwith and latency.