Re: techdocs beta testing - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: techdocs beta testing
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 21:31, Guido Barosio wrote:
> A quick run over the new techdocs site shows:
>
> <404 errors>
>
>  * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3
>
>     "A Visual Basic utility to convert Dbase III, IV, and V" ->
> http://www.postgresql.org/source/migration.zip

must have missed this one, but downloaded it fom techdocs, uploaded to www,
and updated link

>  * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.26
>
>     The reference to the "authors website" is wrong (404)

I've sent an email to the author; if anyone can find the missing link we could
update it. (i didnt check google cache or the internet archive, could start
there)

>  * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3
>
>     While calling the following links:
>
>     -"Porting Horror Story" ->
> http://www.frankhilliard.com/horrorstory.cfm  the connection timed out
> with no success at all.

works for me, maybe a temporary problem?

>     -"PostgreSQL and Microsoft Access" -> http://www.scw.org/pgaccess/ which
> (404)

I managed to find a version of this in the google cache. I've added it to the
site and updated the link apropriatly.

> <Weird behaviours>
>
>  * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3
>
>     - Directory listing instead of documentation, tho it's not clear or
> maybe needs a review:

either i dont understand where your looking or it works for me. (this page has
been updated a few times, so maybe that fixed it?)

>     Conversion tool for migrating from MySQL to PostgreSQL by PostgreSQL Inc.
>
>     - Oracle Section
>
>     While calling: orapgsqlviews project at gborg
> (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/orapgsqlviews/projdisplay.php)
> there gborg site
>     reports that something went wrong, no project was specified  or an
> invalid project was specified.

the only thing i can find is an old announcement from chris browne back when
he worked for great bridge.  seems a little mysterious as i am sure that
project used to be there. I've dropped Chris an email about it.

> <Missing tags or work to be done>
>
> - <a name> tags missing in:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.25
>
> Tried to correct this, but the html editor complains when
> I hit the save button.
>
> the idea is to add the ....
>
> <a name=one>
> <a name=two>
> <a name=three>
> <a name=four>
>
> .... tags to the objects therefore named in the content.

Magnus, you initiall left out the name attribute for anchor tags, do you have
any objections to allowing them?

> <add ons>
>
> - added wikipedia as a technical reference in:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.2
>
> Wikipedia related article: Related articles, comunity managed.
> (or alike, just an idea)
>
> (But couldn't check the preview, why?)

did you save the change before trying to preview it?  did you get an error?

> < ambiguous  >
>
> The techdocs.33 page seems to just a mid step between the original link in
> the techdocs.4 page, and is just presenting a link to a pdf file, while in
> other cases, we directly call the pdf files, tho.

I think I followed the pattern of the intermediate page linking to the file in
every case except the oscon slides/presentations page.  we probably should
decide if that's our precedent or not.

> < about >
>
> I will walk again through the site, and try to spot other issues.
> A formal QA document will be posted then to this list.
>
> Would be great to understand why after saving some modifications I
> wasn't allowed to get the preview. Prolly just late and my brain
> working less than usual.

The only thing that comes to mind is not saving the page before trying to
preview it.  I am wondering if we ought to not have the preview button if the
page hasnt been saved, since it is a little confusing.

Another issue is I have seen a couple of people try to modify links to point
to /community/techdocs.2112 or whatever instead of /docs/techdocs.2112  Is
there something leading people to think the former is the proper link rather
than the latter?

Also a bug that I think exists is that after accepting Guido's changes to
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3 his name is not in the
history, but mine is instead.  His name did show up in the admin interface
though, to which i clicked edit and then made a few changes before accepting.
istm his name should be in the history, but it isnt.

thanks so much for the feedback so far!
--
Robert Treat