Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Hamill
Subject Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:52:20 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Are you in a position to try your workload using PG CVS tip?  There's
> a nontrivial possibility that we've already fixed this --- a couple
> months ago I did some work to reduce contention in the lock manager:

Well, there's a question. At the moment it's still live - but I'll need
to swap back to the Xeon machine since I can't afford to have a Saturday
with the db firing on three cylinders (out of eight :)

At that point you're welcome to twiddle, compile, throw anything you
want at it. If it helps us as much as the greater pg world, then that's
perfect.

> This is unfortunately not going to help you as far as getting that
> machine into production now (unless you're brave enough to run CVS tip
> as production, which I certainly am not).

.. if the problem can actually be boiled down to the locking/threading
issues, surely it should be straightforward to backport those changes
to 8.1.3 mainline?

> I'm afraid you're most
> likely going to have to ship that pSeries back at the end of the
> month, but while you've got it it'd be awfully nice if we could use
> it as a testbed ...

We have it for the next 2 weeks, and whilst I can't guarantee access for
all that time, you're welcome to hammer away at it over this weekend if
that's any help? Mail me privately and I'll sort out login details if
this is interesting.

Cheers,
Gavin.