Re: [DOCS] COPY command documentation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [DOCS] COPY command documentation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:31:42PM -0500, Oisin Glynn wrote:
> I am a Windows only developer (for my sins) and to be honest we are
> using postgres allot and are impressed by it but the *NIX centric
> examples in the docs can sometimes be a challenge, if there is a clear
> difference between Windows/*NIX operation and it is not obvious what the
> Windows equivalent is then there should be a Windows example or a note
> within the example explaining the difference.

You're right, but the number of UNIX developers here far exceeds the
number of Windows developers. Most UNIX developers (like me) would have
absolutly no idea which examples would not translate obviously to
Windows. For that you need someone experienced in Windows programming
to indicate that.

We could probably use a section in the docs indicating the major
differences. Maybe it's there already, I can't see it straight off.

> Maybe a did you find this note useful button and useful notes get
> priority for doc inclusion?

That would be nice, no idea how to implement it though. Maybe even
sharing the comments across version would be good, except that the page
names have changed over time.

> What is the process for submitting a doc patch?  I am sure I should be
> asking that on the doc list.

Go to the source tree, edit the SGML files and send the diff to
pgsql-patches.

Have a nice day,

Attachment