Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan

From: Bruno Wolff III
Subject: Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Dan Harris, )
 Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Dan Harris, )
 Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Dan Harris, )
  Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Dan Harris, )
   Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Evgeny Gridasov, )
    Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Oleg Bartunov, )
  Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Bruno Wolff III, )
   Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  ("Merlin Moncure", )
 Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  ("Merlin Moncure", )
  Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Dan Harris, )
   Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  ("Merlin Moncure", )
   Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Michael Fuhr, )
     Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Oleg Bartunov, )
      Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan  (Bruno Wolff III, )

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 11:50:48 +0300,
  Oleg Bartunov <> wrote:
> I may be wrong but we in astronomy have several sky indexing schemes, which
> allows to effectively use classical btree index. See
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/SkyPixelization
> for details. Sergei Koposov has developed Q3C contrib module for
> PostgreSQL 8.1+ and we use it with billiard size astronomical catalogs.

Note that Earth Distance can also be used for astronomy. If you use an
appropiate radius, distances will be in degrees.