Re: Fwd: Participation in GITEX (Middle East) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Fwd: Participation in GITEX (Middle East)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Rajesh Sharma wrote:
> pardon the self-follow-up, but here's some more information on GITEX 2006 in
> Dubai. ...
>
> I've been a constant visitor to Gitex from nearly 7 years, and companies
> from many countries participate and have booth displaying their product line
> up(Hardware/Software). This show ,attracts the entire of Middle East (Middle
> East & North Africa region) and I've never seen any Open Source booth in
> there. This year it's in Nov., I was thinking if we could have a booth of
> PostreSQL in the midst of MS, Oracle, Sun.
> If yes, how do we proceed?
> lately I had shown my interest in forming a User Group in Dubai, which I'm
> following up with couple of my friends.

What local PostgreSQL users usually do is approach the organizers seeing
if we can get a free booth, and if they are willing to pay to fly in one
of the community members to give a talk.  They might be willing to do
one or both of them.  If they don't want to do either, I think we are
stuck because these conferences are looking for paying booth people, and
we have no money.

Many conferences do have open source people because they feel it will
increase the visibility and attendance of their conference.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com