Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (WCCA) on - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darcy Buskermolen
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (WCCA) on
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 14 March 2006 16:00, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> [...]
> clients have paid big money for support, and been very disappointed.
>
> With one commercial vendor we've routinely been told by first line
> support staff that the product was functioning as intended.  After days
> of effort, sometimes involving calls from top management, we've gotten
> through to someone who can actually understand the problem and
> acknowledge the bug; only to have it take months (sometimes over a year)
> to get a fix,
>
> With another open source vendor, from whom no support is available
> without a paid license and a paid support contract, we (after paying for
> a commercial license and a support contract) have been told that such
> things as using an OR predicate within the ON clause of a JOIN was an
> "unimplemented feature" (even though it worked in simple cases).  They
> said they might "add the feature" in the next major release, but that
> wouldn't be for at least a year, and no guarantees.
>
> It was unexpected and quite refreshing to provide the same level of
> detail in a post to a PostgreSQL list, and get a patch file fast enough
> to be running a fixed version within 24 hours of posting the problem.
> When we have been able to provide sufficient detail and / or a test
> case, this has usually been the result.  When we participated in the
> beta test phase, people were quite helpful in leading me through the use
> of unfamiliar tools to capture the information they needed to identify
> and fix problems before the official release.
>
> After decades of working as an independent consultant, I've recently
> (eight days ago) accepted employment with the Wisconsin Court System as
> a DBA, and I'm told that as a court employee I'm not allowed to endorse
> one product over another; but, I can speak of my experiences with
> products so long as I don't violate any constraints of the license
> agreements.  I have worked with quite a few database products in my
> career and can say unequivocally that the support I've seen provided for
> PostgreSQL is superior to that which I've seen provided for any other
> database product.
>
> I don't want to name any names, because I would undoubtedly forget
> several very helpful people here, but I have to admit that my personal
> favorite was when I posted information about a bug in the JDBC driver
> shortly before I left for the day, and while I was sleeping a user in
> Germany created a program to cause the race condition, tracked down the
> cause, and posted a patch with a suggested fix.  By the time I'd
> finished my coffee the next morning, the patch had been reviewed, scaled
> back to the minimum change required to effect a fix, applied to CVS, and
> a new jar file deployed for download.  Wow.
>
> I can't really accept congratulations for this successful deployment
> without offering it right back to the community for all the help you've
> provided, as well as the product itself.  Absolutely fantastic, all

If we do not have a testimonilas page, then  this is the perfect example of
why we should, and what should be on it.  As good as we are in features, text
like this can be far more efective in getting a foot in the door with PHB.

(just my 2 bits worth)

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.